The Data Science for Social Good Center
Our mission is to generate public value from data, data science and artificial intelligence through innovative actions that aim to impact the entire ecosystem, with local, European and global perspectives, and a focus on driving and supporting the digital transformation of the non-profit sector.
1. Applied Research
Scientific research on the applications of data, data science and artificial intelligence for social impact and sustainable development.
- We collaborate with foundations, philanthropic institutions, universities, cities, NGOs, global humanitarian aid and sustainable development organizations, social impact organizations and startups (including Fondazione CRT’s partner network), to advance and disseminate the use of data applied to the quantification, interpretation and prediction of social phenomena, intervention planning and policy impact assessment;
- We develop case studies, tools and methodologies to scale up the application of data science in the non-profit and philanthropic sector.
2. Data Collaboration
Design and management of data collaboratives, and new operational and governance models for data access and use, in collaboration with organizations that hold data or need data of potential public interest.
- We act as a neutral intermediary in the sustainable and responsible exploitation of data (including private and commercial data) of potential interest for the non-profit and philanthropic sector;
- We design new initiatives to stimulate and support wider access to and use of data within the reference ecosystem of Fondazione CRT and its partners, including the further implementation of emerging “data for social good” practices proposed by the European Union and other institutions (such as “data altruism”, Data Governance Act);
- We define and share data-based indicators to measure the impact and effects of non-profit or social impact organizations, in relation to sustainable development indicators and environmental, social and corporate governance indicators.
3. Talents for the Social Impact of Data
The people infrastructure to accelerate the use of Data for public benefit.
Training, mentorship and networking opportunities for professionals and researchers working on the social impact of data science and artificial intelligence. Development of data stewards, i.e. new professional figures in philanthropic institutions and non-profit organizations who can liaise for the exploitation of data for public use.
- We train and supervise researchers and students in the context of projects on data’s social impact, in collaboration with:
1) Non-profit or social impact organizations, philanthropic bodies, NGOs, social enterprises;
2) Research centers on data science and artificial intelligence;
3) Both private and public data holders.
- We carry out training and networking initiatives for new data stewards dedicated to the exchange of data, their exploitation for social purposes, and the use of data in the planning and evaluation of non-profit sector projects.